And while we're on the topic of Excel...

I'm running a pretty old version of Excel, "About" says it is Excel 2002. Before that I was running an even older version of unknown vintage.

In the older version when I opened multiple spreadsheets by clicking on the filenames (opening by file association) each spreadsheet opened in it's own Excel program. The newer (2002) version opens all the spreadsheets in a single program, all of the spreadsheet "windows" being contained in a single larger Excel window, sort of a window within a window setup.

I hate, despise, detest, etc. this.

[Diatribe]I seem to spend half my time moving those spreadsheets around inside the Excel window, trying to find the scroll bars or trying to uncover columns that are hidden by another spreadsheet. Whenever I open a spreadsheet, the main window is always whatever size the previous Excel session was, rather than the size appropriate for the particular spreadsheet, and it is ALWAYS the wrong size so I drag the window out or in to size it properly and then realize that I was supposed to drag the spreadsheet window the the right size and then drag the Excel window... and I can't tell you how many times I have forgotten that I had more than one spreadsheet open within the Excel window and closed the window, losing the changes in the "hidden" spreadsheet because I decided not to save the changes in the one on top and didn't read the warning message carefully.[/Diatribe]

Fortunately I have found the workaround, and that is to start Excel by running the program directly (not through file association) and then opening the spreadsheet from within Excel. That way I can have as many different Excels running as I need. Of course they will all still be that idiotic window within window nonsense.

Do later versions of Excel still do this window-in-window stuff? If not, I might be persuaded to upgrade. Or, is there some setting somewhere within my 2002 version of Excel to turn this "feature" off?

tanstaafl.