I also wanted to build an mp3 player.. but at the time I was considering it, the empeg was just a dream in hugo's head and his player was the venerable mp3mobile. So, I undertook building my own, with an lcd screen and custom software. It is designed very much like the original mp3mobile; it is so much more than the typical old pc thrown in the trunk with an inverter. I am one of those who does get satisfaction out of doing my own thing, and also I have more upgrade options with my setup.. I plan on adding battery backup to power the custom dc powersupply while the car is off, remote powerup, and wireless networking to the whole deal, which in effect will allow me to update the hard drive from my desk inside.

However, it has ended up costing me 1000 so far, and with networking equipment looks to be more like 1600. I have spent countless hours over a period of 5 months doing linux programming, some of it very frustrating.

But after that was done (and it is) I am very satisfied with the final product. Everyone I describe it to says "Wow, can you build me one of those?" and I say "I will never do this again, go buy an empeg." While it has been incredible amounts of work, it has made one person pretty pleased with himself.

Grant R