Originally Posted By: tfabris
You didn't have a loose screw shorting stuff out in there, did you?
no, it does not appear to be that. I'm quite comfortable taking the cover off and poking around inside (i've upgraded the hard disks in the past) and i cannot find anything of the sort right now.

In fact, not long ago my roommate surprised me by giving the unit a total teardown and Rid-Ox treatment, then a rebuild (back when it was acting just "funny" as opposed to "dead") and that seemed to make it happy for some time.

I trust him even more than me when it comes to things like circuitry, reflow and rework, etc. So the idea of something loose rattling around in there without either of is seeing it is remote.

i have only one drive and a single head cable, so no loose whatnot could be the problem there, either.

i've even tried power the empeg on with no IDE cable connected... and without the display board cable, either. in all cases it seems borked and HyperTerm shows nothing still.

Originally Posted By: mlord
If we manage to get you past the "check the connectors" phase and things are still b0rked as described above.. then this sounds like a case where you might want to package it up and send it to me for repair.
are you Eutronix or a separate outfit? heh, if the former... you've had my unit in the past (for a rotary encoder)