Originally Posted By: mlord
I though the G series has viewfinders.. ?

Yes, you're right. I never used it with my G11 and I just forgot it was there. smile

I find it useless. Unlike a reflex viewfinders, I find the G11 one inaccurate, small, overall unpleasant to use. That has been true for all compact cameras I had.
Just the opposite than that of a reflex, where, by looking into the viewfinder, I get a feeling of higher accuracy and control on "composing" the image.
I don't mean at all that the LCD is a bad experience. I am overall very happy when taking pictures with the G11, and I've been with all compact cameras I've had.

Simply, when compared with a reflex viewfinder, I found the latter more "real". I got a sense or better control on what I was doing, for one because I can concentrate more on what I see when I look into the (good) viewfinder of a reflex.

From this point of view, though, a viewfinder with an LCD inside (as some new Sony Alpha cameras), instead of "real" light coming from the lens, is a significantly closer experience to the traditional viewfinder. What do you guys think about that, instead?

Quote:

But yes, stability. With a viewfinder, one can hold the camera in a braced position (photography manuals/courses teach this) to minimize vibration, yielding sharper photos.

Also, for me, using an LCD means 200-300 photos per battery charge. Using only a viewfinder means 1000-2000 photos per battery..

I see. Both good points I think.
MK2a #040103216 * 100Gb *All/Colors* Radio * 3.0a11 * Hijack = taympeg