What was I trying to find? Based on what I typed isn't that obvious? Since I'm not a moron, I don't use Google to take me to things I already know about or to go to specific URLs that I also already know.

BTW, Perly's isn't owned by Rand McNally. Hasn't been since 2008 when it was sold off along with all of Rand Canada to a Canadian company.

I don't know if Perly's is producing a Perly's map product for iPhone. I could visit their web page which might list an existing product and I can also visit the App Store. Except I'm pretty confident that specific app doesn't yet exist. So I turn to Google in hopes of finding other people looking for or discussing the same topic. perhaps a forum thread somewhere mentioning something about a future app. A blog post announcing something that might not yet be listed on the corporate site, etc... The normal stuff one would use Google for,

Originally Posted By: wfaulk
Were you wanting Google to create a new web page that incorporated all of your terms, despite no such page apparently existing?

If the page doesn't exist, I expect zero results.

I don't expect Google to return a page that does not, at a minimum, include every search term I typed, exactly as I typed it.

What originally made Google superior to other search engines was that it only used to return matches for what you typed. You didn't have to include "+" or anything silly like that. I remember dumping Altavista for Google back when the G first appeared.

In the cached copy of the first result for the perly's search, it says that "iphone" exists only in pages pointing to that result. Well you know what Google? Show my THOSE pages, because that's what I want to see.

All I know is that Perly's/Canadian Cartographics is missing a HUGE opportunity here. They have all the digital IP to make some great mapping software and instead they're still only doing paper. It's great paper, but I'm sure they're losing sales to software solutions. Of course the same can be said about Rand McNally in the US - by at least an order of magnitude.