Originally Posted By: Cris
Thanks Bruno for the photography tips. I'll have to remember them for my next paid assignment. So far I'm really lucky that all the weddings I've ever shot have only had one type of lighting in each frame. Not.

Do you do a lot of wedding shoots in a studio? Wedding photography is nothing at all like studio photography. We might as well be talking about portrait painting and house painting.

BTW, no need to be sarcastic, there are plenty of (I'd say "many") working professionals that don't know half as much about photography and lighting as the people in this BBS.

A studio implies control and given the space we're talking about it also implies some compromise. Even with AC it would probably be foolish to light "the room" with hot tungsten. Fluorescents can be used very effectively and won't produce as much heat. Put them on a fancy thing called a light switch and they can also *gasp* be turned off. I recall saying something about that earlier.

It's doubtful they'd be used to light the subjects for the reasons already given by Dan, Mark and myself.

As I'm sure you know, every light source will produce a colour cast if you don't set your camera appropriately. And if you're using strobes along with any other non-strobe light source (excepting daylight), you've got to (or should) contend with balancing and filtering your light no matter what. Do you want an orange cast from tungsten?

IMO, a low-cost, portable and very straight-forward way to shoot in that small room would be to use remote speedlights. Use them with the Canon or Nikon built-in remote systems, PocketWizards, Radio Poppers or even eBay triggers. Get at least 3 speedlights and some modifiers for them - plus of course light stands.

In such a small room it would be a PITA to be messing around with power or sync cords.