Originally Posted By: gbeer
I'm suspecting that anything in a 16x9 format is getting called HD these days.

I've actually never seen this. Every time something is marketed as HD, it's at least 720p.

Now, there's certainly a question about how much compression different content providers use on their HD streams. That definitely varies. Although I'd still say even the worst is usually better than SD.

Originally Posted By: hybrid8
Originally Posted By: Dignan
However, my wife and I just spend $34 to see The Green Hornet in theaters.

If you can't watch movies on Vudu at the same time as they're in theaters, then that point is sort of moot. If Vudu gets movies at the same time as they're available to everyone on DVD and BluRay, you can compare to renting at Blockbuster or buying the title outright.

True, true. Though all those alternatives don't have the convenience of VOD. I can't get to all the movies I want to see in the theater anyway, so waiting isn't always a problem. Also, Blockbuster is dead, and Redbox has a terrible selection (and none of the ones around me rent blurays). Now that I think about it, I don't think I could go out right now and rent a bluray disc anywhere near me! That's weird to think...

And I could buy a $30 bluray, but not many people see "used bluray" and will pay you more than $6 less than the price you paid for it, so you're behind there too.

Quote:
I can buy a used DVD for $2, watch the movie and then sell it for $3. Profit of $1.

Are you really saying that's a better method? I really don't think that $1 is worth my time to make it. How do you go about selling these used DVDs?

Personally I'd rather just stream it. Like I said, when I average it out with my Netflix subscription, I don't feel like I'm spending too much.

Edited by Dignan (20/01/2011 23:48)