Andy, I know your issue wasn't app related, but do post back if you notice an unusual battery drain with apps. I have found a number of other bad citizens since posting about the subject in the other thread.

Bria, a voip app, will eat the full battery in about 6 hours if I don't force quit it. In other words, I can go back to the spring board, sleep the phone and 6 hours later I'll be lucky to have a single pixel on the battery meter.

A couple of clock apps also consumer crazy amounts of battery, including Awaken which I've most recently tried. It seems to suck more than its share while running with the phone asleep or even while in the background.

IMO, Apple should be putting more millions into research of battery tech/chemistries. I know it's not necessarily a problem that can instantly be solved with money, but I think a cool billion over a couple of years should yield some fruit. Personally, I'm looking for a 10x increase in battery capacity. IMO, it's currently the biggest issue holding back portable devices at the moment. Processing speed, memory and storage are all reasonable right now.