Originally Posted By: hybrid8
First two problems: Dell. Vista. Get rid of at least the second one. Starting fresh is my recommendation. It's going to be the most cost and time-effective for everyone involved.

Frankly, I'm starting to lean towards that myself.

Quote:
Networking problem... You didn't happen to use the same patch cable that was already in place when you connected your personal machine to that other switch did you? Other than that, try a completely different brand/model of switch with a new and preferably pre-tested patch cable - with your computer.

I did use the same patch cable, but the patch cable isn't the problem. It's been working fine for me for the past week or so that I've been using it. The new switch was a completely different brand and model.

Originally Posted By: lectric
How long is the cable between the two buildings? How good is the wiring between the buildings?

It's pretty long, but unfortunately I can't remember the exact number now... I would have thought the wiring would be fine, it's worked fine since it was installed a year or two ago. It also seems to work just fine when plugged directly into my computer.

Quote:
Personally I'd chuck the hub and get another switch. Remember that a switch resets the maximum distance for copper, but a hub doesn't. Not to mention it would totally route-isolate both buildings. Right now the hub has to rebroadcast everything across the long run. If you had 2 switches, only true cross-building traffic would be transmitted over the long run. Less chance for collisions, too.

My apologies for confusing the matter, but there are no hubs in the network. I was using "hub" as a term to denote the central place where all the lines terminate and the router/modem are located. I realize that was a poor choice of word smile

There are nothing but switches in the system. The network essentially looks like:

Modem - router - switch - [long run between buildings] - switch - switch - all computers in old building

Yes, that's two switches, but the problem isn't with that. It doesn't matter if the second switch is plugged in or if that's just my computer. If ANY switch is connected to the end of that run (which used to work fine), anything connected to it will get these slower speeds. If a computer is plugged directly into the end of the run, it talks to it just fine.