Quote:
Then, at least, I'd know that any wonky behavior I was experiencing would also likely be suffered by somebody working at Google who'd be more likely to fix it.

That's a great point, and one that really hadn't crossed my mind. Do people generally consider the Nexus S to be more stable than all of the HTC, Samsung, etc. offerings, or is this just from your personal experience with the Droid X?

I stopped by both the Sprint store after work today to get a quick look at the Nexus S 4G, and would have walked out with one were it not for Sprint's sudden love of surcharge fees for everything under the sun. I'm paying about $80/month after my employer discount now, but if I upgrade to a new Sprint smartphone, they're going to tack on ten bucks for the privilege. Then, the one that made my jaw drop was the wireless hotspot tethering fee: 30 bucks a month! Unreal.

So I walked out, and headed to the T-Mobile store down the street. The CS reps were mobbed, but I did get a look at the HTC Sensation, and even with just 5 minutes with the two phones, I got a good feel for why a lot of people prefer a stripped down true Android phone over the ones loaded with bloatware. The HTC interface has all this 3D spinning whiz-bang animation crap that totally turned me off. I'm sure I could eventually tweak it to make it more palatable, but it seemed to me that all the extra horsepower of the HTC's faster CPU would be eaten up by visual effects and crappy apps.

It's a bummer, because it looks like my monthly bill on T-Mobile would be significantly cheaper. They only charge $15 for tethering, and though the data service isn't "unlimited" like it theoretically is on Sprint, I'm pretty sure I'd be fine with the plan that gives you 2GB of fast data and then throttles anything above that. Sprint does have 7pm nights/weekends and unlimited calling to any mobile carrier, but I rarely use anytime minutes, so I think I'd be fine with calling.

So, basically, it looks like I want the Sprint phone with but the T-Mobile service. smile I guess the least bloated Android phone available on T-Mobile is the LG G2X, but I didn't get a chance to see that in the store today, and apparently they haven't rolled Gingerbread out to it, so I'm not really sure that's a great fit, either.

Sprint is seriously going to lose a ton of customers with their $10 smartphone and $30 tethering charges. mad