Originally Posted By: JeffS
I haven't played with it yet, but I would assume the integration is smooth enough that tablet users won't even be aware of the desktop OS. Is that not the case? If it is, then can't MS take advantage of both kinds of consumers?

I think that's exactly the case. Of course, some paradigm changes will be there, but if they add a strong enough "cool" factor, many consumers will embrace it, I guess.

Not only that. The advanyage of having a tablet with you and turn it into a desktop with literally a click of a mouse (or less, if it shoudl recognize the dock), is there for non-geeks as well. And hardware power will be there to support this new paradigm. Even from the business pnt of view, I think MS got the right timing here, and the right technology. Indeed, mine could be a nerdy/geeky perspective. Who knows. Still, I honestly can't wait to get a touch-based device of PC-class computing power (yet, nothing crazy in that regard), and turn it into my new work machine (currently a Lanovo laptop + docking station in the office).

More on my daily usage of Win 8: I installed Office, other apps, and I am trying to actually use the new METRO as a replacement for the START BUTTON. I haven't formed an opinion on this yet, but one thing I can say is that so far it "just works". So, I am now in the middle of a choice. Do I prefer never to bother with metro when working in desktop mode, or do I actually like to pop it up to do things I once did with the start button? The fact is, just pinning programs to the taskbar a bit more than what I do with 7, makes my traditional usage of the start button almost useless... Mmmh...

Edited by taym (17/09/2011 08:43)
Edit Reason: typos as usual, and more.
MK2a #040103216 * 100Gb *All/Colors* Radio * 3.0a11 * Hijack = taympeg