The axis stuff is good, but pricey. Most of the available generic monitoring software will work with any camera, but it does all the motion detection back at the PC end, ignoring anything clever the camera itself is doing.

However, the axis cameras have a good range of motion detect options including covered zones, sensitivity level, and being able to save pre-trigger content as well as post trigger. They will also just FTP this stuff up somewhere safe in a date & time stamped file, so no server is really required. I have a 207MW that I use to cover the house when I'm away.

I recently installed a logitech alert 700 for outdoor coverage at home, this comes with a PoE injector/200mbit powerline network node combined power brick, but the camera itself is vanilla PoE (the difference between the starter pack and the add-on kits is just the powerline networking hub for the router end - I don't use this, just a standard PoE switch).

The nice thing about this is that you can use it with a PC/windows software, or it'll just record motion to its internal microSD slot and then download it next time you connect up. They claim "HD" but it's really just "better than VGA". The night vision has some seriously powerful illumination.