I recently purchased a Dell XPS15z. It has some other issues with audio corruption whilst using Wifi but whilst I can live with that I've come across a video issue. The problem is that all the tests I can find including the Dell diagnostics say everything is OK.

Machine is a i7-2640M with Intel HD3000(?) graphics as well as an nVidia GT525M hybrid. I'm experiencing issues just with the Intel graphics at the moment in Windows etc. The nVidia is not normally used unless I play a game (not installed at the moment because of a reinstall)

I'm finding that after a while (and not running much in the way of applications I'm getting corrupted windows etc. Sometimes it will just magically fix itself and start working normally. Sometimes I need a reboot. Reboot fixes it temporarily and then it comes back. It's hard to reproduce. Damn - I meant to take a screenshot just now but now the problem goes away. I'm pretty sure a print screen will catch it so it's not something in the LCD panel or something like that. I will try the next time it happens and post back

The machine is not running hot and does not seem at all heat related.

I have restored to the factory image. After a while the problem comes back. Only reinstalled a few days ago. I'm not installing wads of crap software so I don't think there is an issue there. This is my second machine. They replaced the first because of the Wifi issue (didn't fix it though). The first machine never had this issue in the few months I had it. This new one has started doing it within days of a reinstall.

As a side note, I have a work machine (Dell Precision with a Quadro FX1600M) and it has previously suffered a similar issue. It doesn't have any of the hybrid stuff so is always nVidia whereas this problem seems to be Intel related). So that brings me to believe it may be some kind of Windows thing? I was going to have the work one simply replaced with a whole new machine. Warranty was nearly up and IT told me "I was running too much stuff" because I had a lot of Windows in the taskbar. It has now been re-imaged and I've not experienced the problem since although I was reasonably convinced it was a graphics card hardware issue (tried all sorts of driver versions).

Anyone got any ideas on how I can test things or seen similar problems (a bit hard without a photo I know)? I come to the empegbbs since you guys are the most knowledgable ones I know and I would like to have some evidence it's broken before fighting through Dell's standard "upgrade drivers (again), reinstall etc" process

Thanks
Christian

Forgot to add
New machine is Win 7 64 bit.
Old machine is Win XP 32 bit.

Both machines seems to have issues when scrolling windows such as a webpage. The next "page" would be mostly blank/corrupted.

The old machine had particular issues with Acrobat and would only display correctly if the window was smaller than a certain size (that size would change). If full screen it would corrupt and not draw properly. The new machine doesn't seem that specific but just something I remember. I don't really care too much about the old machine since it's up for renewal but was putting it out there as another data point.

Edited by Shonky (05/01/2012 09:18)
Edit Reason: more info
#40104192 120Gb (no longer in my E36 M3, won't fit the E46 M3)