I recently bought a new car. The included stereo has so many fully integrated features with the vehicle, I hesitate to remove it in favor of the empeg, but I'd really like to install the empeg as a aux source. Problem is, as with many, no dash space left to do so. I DO have a space I could mount a slim, and/or smaller remote display.

I searched, beacause I recall a long time ago there were some users, altman, V99, others that had build at least to some level remote working VFD/LCD displays driven serially. Times they have a changed, and we are now in 2012. I see quite a few of us wanting some way to remote mount the empeg, if for no other reason than there is STILL nothing better for music play and management. Period.

(I keep waiting for someone somewhere to write an android app that works with music like the empeg does... I need to become a dev I think..)

Anyway, anyone know the current state of any of these projects? Is it possible to run a display serially? Ethernet? I see this thread:

http://empegbbs.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/140571/8

and related ones, that indicate that V99 did in fact make this work. I see the noratake dispays are available for $30. Id prefer a reverse LCD actually, since that would match the car better. I see that there were also some pretty cool projects to view/control the payer from a web browser via ethernet.

Just trying to think out loud, whats the current EASIEST and cheapest way to remotely control the empeg, with display (even if its slow/choppy) for trunk mounting? My VFD has seen better days anyway, so I wouldnt miss looking at it directly...