Originally Posted By: mlord
Originally Posted By: DWallach
Here's a Pluggable 4-port hub that explicitly supports the USB battery charging spec.

The write-up for that product sounds excellent. And it's only $20 (+shipping).

No hesitation.
According to the chart listed on that page, only one of the listed devices would actually charge at more than 500ma, and even then at less than 900ma.

This Pluggable device may meet the B.C. 1.1 spec but that spec would appear to be rather limited. Max 1800ma power only when no data is flowing over USB, and only 900ma when in high speed data mode. And apparently very few (any?) devices that can actually fully utilize this specification.

What I would like to see is a spec and a USB hub product that could deliver a full ten watts (2 Amps) to multiple USB hub ports at the same time. Something that would simultaneously charge two iPads at full rate and two iPhones (5 watts, 1 Amp each). Or handle non-Apple devices that require higher than 500ma current for fastest charging.

The 2.5 Amp power supply feeding a four port hub is weak sauce, in my opinion. Show me a hub with a ten Amp (50 watt) power supply and you will have my attention.

Edited by K447 (21/09/2012 00:38)