Originally Posted By: Shonky
Dodgy power supply?

Perhaps, but I don't see any other examples of odd behavior that might indicate that.

Quote:
Dodgy motherboard (something on one of the buses including the USB interface). Are there any other devices missing?

Not that I can tell. She doesn't use a ton of devices, though, so that might be masking it.

Quote:
Certainly a weird one.

It is!

Originally Posted By: larry818
Yeah, dodgy motherboard. Try disabling the onboard network adapter, then putting in the card.

But I can't disable the card because according to the computer, it doesn't exist!

Originally Posted By: Taym
To avoid different issues overlap and create more confusion: are you positive the adapter PCI version is compatible with the MB PCI supported versions? How old is the MB?

Hmm. I've been out of the PC hardware game for a while, but I wasn't aware of this. I would have expected (reasonably, I think) that a PCI Express card will work in a PCI Express slot. The computer isn't very old, just about 15 months (so of course, it's just outside the warranty). I would think it would support a simple network card. If there had been a regular PCI slot available I would have used it (the cards are cheaper), but it only has 3 PCI Express 1x slots.

Quote:
In any case, it would seem a MB issue to me as well.

I might agree with you guys, but for this: so it stopped seeing the USB wireless NIC. Okay, but then why did the keyboard, plugged into the slot next to it, keep working? And the mouse too? I've had a computer with problems on the USB power side, but this seems different.

Very odd.