I try not to bug you guys too much with weird issues I run into with the clients I support, but I'm a little stumped here.

I had a client with a laptop that was clearly infected. I ran my usual battery of scans (CCleaner, Malwarebytes, TDSSKiller, and a couple others) and cleaned out a TON of files in addition to removing dozens of infections (I can't recall now if TDSSKiller found any rootkits - I don't think it did). I followed that up with a look through a Hijack This log and didn't see anything sketchy.

So now the computer seemed relatively cleaned up and this is usually enough in most cases. The problem is her computer is acting weirdly when getting online. It's not acting weird in terms of redirects or popups or that kind of stuff. It just seems to...stop.

For example, I'll bring up the browser, log into her GMail account, maybe click on one or two things, and then it just halts. I can't click on anything. When I click on "Compose," I start to get the regular compose window, but it doesn't come up fully. All I'll see are the icons on the bottom like "Send" and the fonts icon and trash. But that's it. Nothing goes.

I've tried everything. I ran combofix, which is usually a hammer that gets the job done. I checked the hosts file. I created a new user account and tried it in there. I'd be using Chrome so I tried IE but that didn't work either. I tried uninstalling Chrome completely and reinstalling it. I tried logging into my own account, and while I was able to get further it was still dog slow and eventually I think it did stop too. I tried going to other sites and didn't seem to have the same problems, but after a while I'd get a bit frozen as well.

I even got to the point where my research was saying there might be a problem with Google Chat and the Realtek drivers on her laptop. So I went and got the latest drivers from Realtek, but that didn't help anything either.

Any ideas? I know, nuke the site from orbit, right? But that's so rarely an option for people I'm helping, unfortunately. Nobody has Windows reinstall discs, and they don't want to pay me for the time it takes. I'm hoping to have some other option here. Any help you guys can give would be awesome. Thanks.