Patrick, I hope you don't mind if I hijack your thread here, but I'm having a Windows networking issue myself and I'm hoping someone might know what's going on.

I have a client with a Windows Home Server, and I just upgraded her laptop from XP to 7 because of the EOL. After finally working out why the computer was incapable of connecting to the server (turns out the server's clock was set to April 11th 2007), I was able to get to the shared files on it.

The problem is that she has to log into the server every single time she reboots her computer (or, more accurately, when she logs in). I don't think she'd mind, except that her husband gave her a long, annoying-to-type password for her account.

The incredibly frustrating part - the part that makes me pissed at Microsoft for poor design - is that the login dialog has a checkbox for the user to tell the system to save the login information they're entering. But it doesn't! Sure, I guess it saves it until the she logs out and back in again, but that's not what people think the system means by that.

I can see that the login information is being saved to the Windows credentials manager. It has the server name, the username, and seems to store the password in there too. But sure enough, if she reboots her computer the next time she tries to access that server it asks her for her credentials.

Anyone know how to fix this? Additional info: the server is Home Server 2008, the computer is Windows 7 Home. I don't have the network share mapped to a drive, but I think it would do this whether or not I did. There are two other computers in her house connected to the server, one running Vista and the other running 8, and neither one has to log in every time they connect to the same share...

Thanks for any help.