Originally Posted By: mlord
The thing with long coax runs is signal loss. With modern RG6 75-ohm TV coax, half the signal power is lost for every 50' of cable.

Dunno what the specs are on whatever coax is being considered here, but it might not work out as planned, especially for two-way WIFI. It's often easy to boost transmit power to compensate for long coax runs, but that doesn't help with the other direction: reception.

I'd worry about that too. And don't those products assume that you have a single coax cable between both ends? I would assume that any lines in a building are going back to a splitter. Are you running your own coax, John?

I've never terminated fiber myself, but I've seen it done. It's a bit of a nerve wracking process because the strands are so delicate. Plus you need powered adapters at each end, but they're very reliable in my experience. None of that matters, I guess, because I can't seem to find any fiber termination kits that aren't terribly expensive...

As far as I understand it, you don't have to worry about someone plugging into a POE port. They're not going to fry their laptop. Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong...

Personally, I don't like the coax idea. I think it's not likely to give you very good performance given that it's so passive. Maybe if you had Moca adapters on the ends supplying the power...