Originally Posted By: DWallach
The Cree CR6, however, was and is widely distributed through Home Depot, rebranded under their in-house "EcoSmart" brand. (I believe.)

Yeah, HD still sells them. I'd like Cree to bring it under their own branding to help reduce confusion. Plus I think HD is putting a little more of a markup on them than Cree might, but I suppose the price makes some amount of sense. What I don't understand is why the 4" models are almost twice as much as the 6" models.

At the moment, I don't see any way I could replace all the downlights in my home with these things. After a rough count off the top of my head, I have 40 recessed lights all over my house. That would mean at least $1K to replace all of them, and I'm sure I have some 4" cans in the mix.

Quote:
If you poke around Cree's web site, you'll see many, many variations on their products, including replacements for fluorescent tube fixtures, things you can put in 4" ceiling cans, etc.

Neat! Thanks for mentioning that. I see that they have some halogen spot light replacements, which we have in a fixture over our kitchen island. I didn't see the ceiling fan replacements, though. The only type of bulb in my house that isn't represented by Cree's lineup is the candle type. I have at least 20 of those in five light fixtures (outside sconce, two chandeliers, a couple ceiling fixtures). I'd imagine that those are probably very tough to make, and the ones I've seen so far from other manufacturers look pretty terrible.