There are a number of physically small amps available that are easily placed under a front seat although I am not familiar with the mini's seats. Amps in general are usually not big unless they are specifically used to drive large/many subwoofers which I am guessing you aren't even using if you have a mini and are concerned about space.

Although I wouldn't personally use it, I agree with you that they should work an amplifier into the player to compete with other head units pricewise. From my experience, the average person thinks the empeg is a little expensive. Although, the recent price cuts have helped that out a bit. Then when they find out they have to spend a few hundred dollars on an amp it usually seals the players demise. I believe price is the reason the empeg is struggling to hit mainstream. Everyone I know listens to MP3's (even the non technical ones) but almost none of them would spend that much on a car stereo. Hopefully the next empeg redesign will also involve more emphasis on cheaper part and production costs so we can see an empeg base price down around $600. That would be serious CD player competition.

Alex Lear