Originally Posted By: drakino
I think their target is $40 for the white bulbs. Still a bit higher then the dimmer compatible LED bulbs from other vendors, but also factor into my decision a bit on the apartment friendliness side.

The apartment-friendly aspect is definitely one of the important pros that I meant to mention. It's also why I mentioned that apartments seem to be the situations best-suited for the Hue system due to price and the limitation on the number of devices. The $40 price tag is actually pretty good now. A $10 Cree bulb is much cheaper, but adding another home automation solution would bring the price back up to at least that. The only time it would work out as more expensive is for large circuits of recessed lights.

Quote:
I'll admit the color aspect can seem a little gimmicky at times, though I have discovered some real uses for it beyond notifications or party lighting.

Fair enough. I have no problem with the color capabilities. I want more options for users. I just want all these devices to work together.

Quote:
HomeKit is still mostly a mystery to me, I need to dig into the WWDC sessions on it. I know so far it will grant an easier way for Siri voice control to just control any device that is compatible as a group with others, even if they are in different "control silos".

There definitely needs to be more info on this, though. The reason I ask is because in order to accomplish what they're talking about, where you say "time to go to bed" or whatever, there needs to be a great deal of setup in order for that to work. Your phone needs to know that this means to lock the front door (and other doors), turn off the lights you want to turn off (my goodnight scene doesn't turn off all my lights), and set the thermostat to what you want. What I'd like to know is if all that is set up on the phone, in which case I'm wondering how that would be shared with another resident. Or a guest. I'll definitely be watching to see how this is implemented.

Quote:
However, if the switch is turned off, it does shut the bulbs down as expected. And if the switch is turned back on, the bulbs default to coming on in a basic white color. One could buy Hue bulbs and never plug in the control pod, and people wouldn't know anything was different.

That's how I figured they worked. And I don't think you'd buy the bulbs accidentally when there's a $10 bulb right next to them smile

I should mention one more minor issue I have with the Hue bulbs, at least the A19 model: they don't look like bulbs. Like I said, it's minor, but it can be a problem in certain situations.

Originally Posted By: tahir
We've got 3000 and 2700k here, hard to tell the difference

Good to know!