Originally Posted By: drakino
I just ended up throwing Backblaze at the situation.
That's all right for you guys with a fast upload connection, but in my case it would take 111.6 days*, 24 hours a day, to back up my 2.3TB of data at the 2mbps maximum upload speed I have available. And it isn't always that fast. Figure four months to get it all uploaded, then add another month or so onto that for the additional data that gets sent up every time I change or move a file. For example, every time I load an audio book into my iPod, the file gets moved from the "Unheard" directory to the "Heard" directory. That's half a gigabyte to delete and back up again, unless Backblaze is smart enough to realize that the data hasn't changed, only the directory tree. (My backup software isn't that smart, it deletes and re-backs it.)

So, I back up to an internal drive. Then I back up to an external drive. Then I back up to an external drive that is kept off-premises. My most valuable data I keep in a backup directory on the original drive, as well as on the backup drive and the off-premises drive, giving me a total of six copies of the data including the original.

Hey, just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get me!

tanstaafl.

*2.3TB x 1024 = 2355GB x 1024 = 2,411,725MB x 8 = 19,293,798Mb divided by 2mbps = 9,646,899 seconds divided by 3600 = 2,680 hours divided by 24 = 111.6 days.

Edited by tanstaafl. (07/01/2015 15:17)
Edit Reason: Add the math