It automatically removes all starting/trailing silence, so you should be able to glue files together seamlessly.

I've run into trouble in the past, attempting to make MP3s seamless (for example, on Pink Floyd albums). I don't own AudioCatalyst, so I don't know if its VBR encoding fixes the problem. But when encoding at 128kbps with Fraunhofer, you can't control how the encoder deals with the gaps between the songs.

As a result, even if you start with two perfectly seamless .WAV files, the Fraunhofer encoder is going to artificially insert partial frames of silence at the beginning and end of the MP3. In this case, the only way to make the MP3's play seamlessly is if you perform trial-and-error trimming of the frames by hand.

Since I got really fed up with doing this using a one-file-at-a-time program like MP3Trim, I decided to partially automate the process. I wrote a little program that allows you to interactively trim the gap between songs on 128kbps MP3 files. It's very beta, and very limited right now, but if you want to check it out, it's at my home page.

Does anyone have any definitive answer as to whether AudioCatalyst can rip a Pink Floyd album so that the individual MP3 files play back seamlessly?

-- Tony Fabris -- Empeg #144 --
Caution: Do not look into laser with remaining good eye.