It continues to boggle my mind how badly car companies handle in-car entertainment. I get that they have a ton of things to think about when it comes to things that can potentially distract the driver, but there's plenty of stuff that they get wrong that have nothing to do with safety. For example, I'm still not sure why the updated map DVDs for the nav systems in my Toyota and my wife's Honda have to cost around $150+ each. I can understand a small fee, but how many drivers are paying for an upgrade at that price? Besides, at the rate that roads change in the DC area, my maps would be outdated in months. It also seems that the DVDs are outdated in the first place, usually using two year old data.

Anyway, to bring this around to relevancy, all this leaves me unsurprised that Toyota has decided to buck the current trend of supporting Apple and Google's systems, and go with their own system (using a partnership, I believe).

My question is this: which company is going to let me - when I first buy the car - select my preferred interface (Android Auto, in my case), and have the car automatically bring that up every time I turn it on. I don't want to have to launch it every time. Honestly, if one of these manufacturers does that, they'll be the first test drive the next time I need a new car.