I'm just dumping these links here so I don't have to keep hunting around for them later on.

Monoprice has a nice page for all things USB-C. They notably distinguish between a $25 all-purpose "USB 3.1 cable" for $24.99 and a "USB 2.0 charging cable" for $12.99, or a "USB 2.0 USB-C Male to USB-A Male" cable" (such as you might plug into a computer or into a pre-existing charger) for $9.99.

Notably missing from Monoprice's page is something to hook your computer's USB 3.0 type A connector to your phone's USB-C connector with the full-blown USB 3.0 performance.

For that, if you still want a name-brand cable (which I think is wise these days), the answer seems to be Belkin, who also has a landing page for USB-C products. Belkin's USB-A to USB-C high-speed cable is $29.99. Their USB-C to USB-C cable (equivalent to the above Monoprice all-purpose cable) is $29.99.

So... Belkin has the cable you need to get full-speed connections from your phone to your computer. Monoprice has the best prices on everything else. Belkin helpfully marks their higher-end cables with a "SS^10" logo (image below, if it works). Monoprice has no similar marking for the equivalent cable. This implies that the Belkin cable definitely supports USB-C's 10Gbps mode. The Monoprice cable claims to also support 10Gbps (vs regular USB 3.0's "SuperSpeed" 5Gbps).

The only other "name brand" I can think of that I might actually trust is Anker. Here's Anker's USB-C landing page. They've got the USB3 data cable for your computer for only $12.99. That's definitely the best deal on that so far. Their USB-C to USB-C cable, for $9.99 sounds awesome, but it's only "USB 2.0 speed" (even though you have to dig to find that out). (EDIT: the Anker USB3 data cable, which they will eventually be selling through Amazon, is "currently unavailable".)

EDIT: here are some other USB 3 data cables, such as you might connect to your computer:
NewLobo - $12.99, 1 meter
Joto - $10.99, 1 meter (they also claim to have a full-speed data cable, also for $10.99).
CableMatters - $11.99, 1 meter

Okay, what about chargers?

Google offers a universal 60W charger, such as you might use for the fancy Chromebook Pixel, and they also offer a 15W universal charger, such as you might use for your phone. Both have hardwired cables, which makes them cheaper (only one USB-C connector) but also makes them a good deal less useful.

Google will eventually also be selling a dual-port USB-C charger. It's only 22.5W but can deliver up to 15W for one port if the other one is willing to go lower. So there's a negotiation of some sort. (Why not just do a 30W power supply?)

Apple, conversely, has a 29W charger for the new MacBook for $49. Here's a comparison of it with the 60W Google charger.

Anker is working on some portable USB batteries that do USB-C. They're all listed as "coming soon" as is their "PowerPort+" charger, which has three USB-A ports and one USB-C port for charging all the things. (I have a 5-way Anker charger that I use when the family is traveling... to charge all the things.) This, again, is listed as "coming soon". Now, just imagine if this Anker thing can somehow put out 60W. Wouldn't that be a game-changer? You could use it as an external battery for a laptop or to charge up your phone. That would be spectacular. We'll see.

What about car chargers?

There are a ton of Qualcomm QuickCharge chargers out there, but that's not the same thing as USB-C, and the magic auto-sensing chips that figure out for each device what voltage and current it's willing to tolerate will need to be revved.

All I could find are some no-name things. Here's one that has a USB-C port and a USB-A port. Max power seems to be 5V/2.1A yet this otherwise identical-seeming product claims 5V/3A. I'm not sure I'd trust either one. The short-term solution seems to be this thing with a built-in cord or this other thing, same deal, but also apparently includes a micro-USB cable for the second port. At least both are relatively cheap, since you know you'll be replacing either one later on once you can get higher power car chargers.

What about docking stations?

Not particularly relevant to smartphones, but definitely relevant if you're pondering the new MacBook, there's this docking station with video and Ethernet. Note the negative reviews saying that it can't power a MacBook? Yeah, sigh.

Anker also has some USB hubs / docking stations (some shipping now, some shipping soon). None of the hubs appear to support external charging, but they have an unspecified "docking station" that's "coming soon". We'll see.

Edited by DWallach (30/09/2015 19:36)