Originally Posted By: mlord
Originally Posted By: K447
I bought a 1000 foot spool of CAT5e outdoor rated cable last year that just does not like running at 1 gigabit speeds. 100mb works just fine

Ouch. Seems incredibly unlikely, too. Are you 100% sure the end connectors were attached correctly (the right wires going to the correct pins) ?
I am rarely 100% certain of anything smile

95% in this case. I tested the connections and all had the correct pin sequence. All four runs were in parallel between the same two rooms so I could A-B compare them. I did not have the full cable verification gear with me, so just used a simple LED cable pin sequence tester.

I have since sold off the remainder of the spool as outdoor '100mb' cable.

This was a residence. I strung a temporary regular network cable through the interior and it ran happily at gigabit speed. The outdoor cable was run around the exterior walls to get from a second floor office to a main floor office, with various equipment in each room.

It is possible I was having a senior moment and managed to incorrectly but consistently wire all eight cable ends. There was a time when 100 Mbit wiring was plenty, but now we have actual Internet ISP speeds faster than that.

Edit: The cable was actually marked as CAT6, not CAT5e.

Edited by K447 (13/11/2015 04:29)