Originally Posted By: K447
I consider the mobile operators collusive control of SMS (and the associated price bundling) to be anticompetitive, yet somehow this is widely perceived as acceptable. There are many things users cannot do with SMS because the mobile companies forbid or restrict access from outsiders.

I've also found it interesting that phone companies still charge for SMS separately, as if it were the old days where SMS involved a separate transport mechanism. These days it's rolled into the data stream where it's just another part of the digital bitstream and it really doesn't deserve to be separated like that. Any excuse for a company to get money (or continue to get money) and they'll do it. It's like when a county collects a road toll pay for a bridge, but then they keep tolling anyway long after the bridge is complete.

Another thing that I think is odd, that is widely perceived as acceptable, is how we're paying cable companies to bring us television channels which have commercials. We're 'paying' twice there. Once upon a time, the commercials were entirely how the channels got paid for.