Originally Posted By: tahir
Originally Posted By: Dignan
I'm very curious to know why you couldn't install Ubuntu on it. I could understand having driver issues once the install was finished, but for it to fail outright seems strange.

I wonder if there's a bad sector on that drive. To me, that's the only thing that could prevent all those OS installs from finishing. I can't recall if there's a free live CD out there with drive scanning tools, but that might be the culprit. You could also just try swapping out the hard drive and trying one of these installs again.

Sorry, forgot to say my initial though was HDD issue, I tried a new HDD (with Win 10 & Mint) still no joy.

Weird... I'm trying to think of what would halt the installation of an OS. Isn't it pretty much just unpacking files for most of the process? I'm having a hard time thinking of what would stop that in its tracks.

Even with the Windows 10 upgrade, I get why Acer would tell you that the computer doesn't support Windows 10, but I would think that would usually be due to driver issues, and that the OS would still install.

How old is that computer? Looking at it online, I see PS/2 ports. Haven't seen those in a while... smile