Looking over the Drobo thread, a thought hit me. For the past few years, I've always had some sort of RAID setup, because no single hard drive was ever big enough to hold all my stuff. Right now, for example, my work machine (a 2013 MacPro) with a 5-disk Thunderbolt disk array is using:

- Internal SSD: 602GB used (of 1TB)
- External main stripe: 2.2TB used (of 6TB)
- External TimeMachine stripe: 1.7TB used (of 4TB)

The external main stripe also includes the CrashPlan backup of my home machine, which is excluded from TimeMachine, so those numbers don't exactly add up properly.

If you look at those numbers, versus the latest hard drives (10TB for $500 plus or minus from Seagate), it's looking like hard drives have finally grown much, much larger than any capacity I'll ever forsee myself needing via RAID striping. You can even get a 2TB external SSD for maybe $750 from Samsung, opening the bizarre thought that I could rebuild my RAID -- currently made from 5x2TB HDDs -- into an equivalent amount of storage that's entirely SSD. Seems overkill, but it's entirely possible now.

So, yeah, CPUs have fallen off the Moore's Law gravy train, but storage is still very much on it. The big question, then, is what I'm supposed to do with all that extra storage.