Originally Posted By: Dignan
What's with the buzzing?

That's why I hate everything but incandescent lights. Fluorescent and LED all buzz because they need some kind of transformer. Those kinds of lights can't accept the AC current as-is, it's gotta be changed somehow, either to a DC current or to some other variant of AC current. What you're hearing is the transformer. Usually a cheap-ass crappy one, because good transformers cost more than people usually expect to pay for a light bulb. Whereas incandescent lights don't need any change at all, they just take the AC directly off the wire.

Some of the more expensive LED and incandescent lights might start their life buzz-free but then develop a buzz later on as they get older and the transformers age.

In my home studio, noise floor is everything, and I can't abide fluorescent or LED lights of any kind. (Or dimmers of any kind, which often induce their own buzz, either audibly or injected into the house current so that it shows up in the audio recording). What I don't understand is what audio recording studios (including my own) are going to do in the future when incandescent bulbs no longer exist.