Originally Posted By: Roger
Taking a step back: why? You're looking for a technical solution to a social problem.

Good question. I'm not trying to solve a problem here, I'm merely trying to automate an existing step in the normal day to day business.

We have thousands of unit tests and also thousands of integration tests, written by dozens of different devs. If a unit test fails, no problem, we instantly know which change caused the failure, and the build system automatically emails them.

Integration test failures are trickier: I already have the changelist data which preceded the failure, but sometimes the changes in that changelist are totally unrelated to the integration test failure. When that happens, my next step is to look up who the test author(s) are, so I can open up a discussion about the test failure. The test author is the most likely person to be able to locate the source of the issue the fastest, and would also be the most logical person to make any corrections. In some cases, the integration tests are intermittently flaky, and in that situation I would assign a task to the test's main author to fix it so that it's not flaky any more.

I'm just trying to automate the step of looking up who the test author(s) are. It normally takes me a few minutes each time. According to the chart, I can waste about six days trying to automate this. smile