Originally Posted By: tfabris
Quote:
I run Plex on my DS916+ NAS and there is now a beta version available which supports hardware transcoding

Interested in more details. My DS416play has hardware transcoding built in to the Synology video streamer but not Plex. I wonder if the version you speak of will also do hardware transcoding on my 416play?

If you have Plex pass you have access to the preview build although it's not for the feint hearted, you have to run Plex in a docker container (which is actually how Plex themselves recommended you actually run Plex anyway these days).

I just looked at the specs for the DS416play and it says it has iGPU which is what is required, you could tell for sure by ssh-ing into dsm and checking if there is a /dev/rdi/renderD128 device, if there is then you should be good to go.

I ended up having to write a synology application to start the docker container because the synology docker interface removes the required device mapping when it starts a container, so it has to be started from the command line. My app allows it to start up from boot with the device mapping.