A word for and against the OnHub/Google WiFi:

First, against:

Dan, did you notice that Google chose a subnet for you? As far as I can tell, they force you to use a subnet of their choosing, usually 192.168.86.1. I don't see a way to change that. It's not the end of the world but it's weird.

Second, a word for the product:

The advantage of a connected router is that it'll get updates automatically. These updates are usually security-related, but sometimes they're feature upgrades.

When I first purchased the OnHub, it was to replace my 802.11n UniFi access points. I wanted 802.11ac, and I was impressed that the Onhub actually gave me better coverage than my UniFi APs (they were the lite version, though). One thing I didn't know, though, was that the OnHub didn't support NAT loopback. This isn't a problem for most people, but I have a few things that need this, most importantly my IP camera that I use as a baby monitor. Without NAT loopback, I had to program our phones with two cameras, one with an internal address and one with my DDNS address, and we would switch back and forth depending on whether we were at home or not.

Well, yesterday I opened up the camera app and forgot that I was still looking at the "remote" camera while on my own WiFi, and was surprised to see that it worked! I looked it up and sure enough, Google had added NAT loopback as a feature at some point! It seems minor, but it save a lot of annoyance for us.