anyone here good with swift/Xcode?

I'm trying to write a Mac desktop version of a utility program that I had previously written on Windows. I can't get past the Hello World stage.

Basically I put some text and button controls on the ViewController, but I can't write to them despite them having working outlet connectors. Basically I just want to write some text to the text control, but can't, because the value of the outlet connectors is always nil. So for instance, when I try to programmatically write text to the text control, or programmatically change the text on the face of the button, it gets an "Invalid instruction" crash because it's Nil.

But these things work though. For instance I can put code in the button's action and I can make it display a dialog when I click on the button. So the button is there, it's instantiated, it works. But try to do anything *to* the button and it's crash city.

I've googled like crazy and tried a shitload of different things but most of the things people suggest are for older versions of XCode and literally don't even compile now.

Any Xcode/Swift experts here wanna try my project file and look to tell me what I did wrong?