Interesting. I'll be curious to learn the cost of the monitoring service. I assume it'll be contract-free since you have to buy all the gear up-front instead of getting it subsidized (the way ADT does).

I'm also curious what wireless tech is in the sensors. That's what'll really determine the battery life. I've done everything I can in my home to avoid adding ZWave sensors in places where they have to be battery powered. I have three motion/temp/etc sensors but they're all powered by USB. I'm pretty surprised that the Nest Detects have an LED pathway light in there, as that'll really suck down the battery.

Does the Nest Guard have a battery backup in it? I'm wondering what happens in a blackout.

Dan, how fast is the Ring at alerting you to someone's presence? I've heard mixed stories from other Ring users. I'm moving my office into the basement where it's VERY hard to hear my doorbell, so I'm thinking about solutions. I need it to be very reliable though. I also, unfortunately, can't use the charge from my existing doorbell because they mounted it perpendicular to the doorway. I've seen adapters that turn it out, but then I'd definitely bump into it all the time.