As most here know, I'm big into home automation. I have every light in my house (other than a couple bathrooms) automated.

But my house was built in 1999, and the builders decided that almost every room should have a switched outlet (I think there's six in total). Clearly, these are useless to me. It's not very thrilling to turn on a lamp from across the room when I can turn it on from across the world.

Now, part of me wants to take out the switches, wire them to always-on, and slap blank plates on top of them. But this seems silly. It'll look weird and it feels like a waste of a constant power source.

Previously, my automation system was built around ZWave. I'm slowly transitioning it to HomeKit. With ZWave, there's a number of wall controllers that can be wired into a spot like this. These days, I can just use a Hue dimmer switch, which is battery powered and can go anywhere. It's not very power hungry.

So that brings me to my question: what do you think I should do with these switches? Any ideas?