HomeKit helped me start with some basic home automation, and I’ve not pushed it forward too much. Handful of bulbs, and some experiments with the color changing ones for notifications. I am pondering some HomeKit electrical outlet switches in the coming year, but haven’t looked at any yet.

It’s mostly built around Hue for me, and for a while I used the native Hue app for some basic automations including the geofencing. HomeKit was handy for building the connection to Siri and control via the Watch.

I did also get a HomeKit enabled deadbolt, that doesn’t look like a smart lock or change the exterior of the existing lock at all, handy for apartment living.

The Home app has been getting more use indirectly, via the control center button, and for granting access to guests. With both the door lock and light control, I can host a guest and not need to give them a key or leave mine. All without any setup beyond some basic stuff, and having an Apple TV around always acting as a secure way for the other devices to control my front door lock over the internet.

The Hue Tap is pretty handy, a 4 button kinetic switch that recently got full HomeKit support. All 4 buttons can be set to different HomeKit actions and aren’t limited to Hue anymore.