Has anyone tried a smart vent? There aren't many on the market, and the ones that are get terrible reviews. It seems the main company in the space is Keen (not the band), and the reviews are not good, with complaints of poor reception from the hub and reports of the vents simply dropping from the ceiling! I also can't tell if their company is failing or just prepping for a re-launch... It's also possible that their vents damaged folks' HVAC units.

Then there's Ecovent, which sounds like a super cool company that would essentially give me an individual zone for every room...at a cost of around $5K.

The temp in my son's room is extremely hard to control. It doesn't help that it only has one vent for a room that's larger than another on the floor with 3 vents. Last year the room was always colder than ours and we'd have to sweat it out to keep him comfortable. This year it's always hotter than ours! With the vent all the way open in his room, it'll be ~78 at night while ours is ~72. If I close it half way, it fluctuates around ~72 while ours is ~74.

So clearly I need a way to adjust this vent on the fly and I don't know how to do it!

I really like the idea of the Ecobee and the room sensors, but I don't know how much it'll help. Sure, it'll average out the temps of whatever rooms I tell it to, but given the example above, if the master is 72 and my son's room is 78, and the temp is set for 72, assuming a matched drop in temp the master won't get heated again until it's 69. That's too cold - especially when we have our 2 month old in there.

How do I get this under control?