Originally Posted By: K447
Why do they need to be in the same app?

Can the door release be separately activated?

They could be, and that may be the route I have to go, but I'm thinking of the scenario where transportation times can very widely in a traffic-heavy major city and a client could be waiting while the counselor is still in transit. It would be nice if the counselor could admit the client into the waiting room from their mobile device (and of course the ring app would allow the counselor to address the client with something like "please go on in and have a seat, I'll be there in 5 minutes").

This is for a family and marriage counseling consultorio, by the way. The psychologists volunteer their time or take a small honorarium and are often have to drive between their primary workplace and this office to meet with a client and the timing doesn't always work out as perfectly as one would like.

By the way, I'm aware that you can get this functionality with a Kwikset Kevo lock, but unfortunately that won't work for a gate where you could reach through the bars and turn the bolt on the back side. If they made a double-sided deadbolt that would be an option. EDIT: It also seems pretty clunky, where the ring app simply has a shortcut to open the kivo app from within and then you'd still have to issue a temporary electronic key, instead of simply popping the lock.