For a standalone GPS, I have had a Garmin Nuvi 3790 ("LMT" package, with Lifetime Maps and Traffic) for the past 11 years (or more?), and still like it very much. It is quite slim (similar to a smartphone), can be used in either vertical or horizontal orientation, allows a choice of 2D/3D viewing (I very much prefer vertical, 2D viewing!!), has handsfree capability (plus bluetooth for handsfree phone, too), and uses a micro-SD card for storage expansion. The suction-cup windscreen attachment has a built-in amplified speaker for in-car use, along with an FM receiver for obtaining/showing traffic updates on the map.

A wonderful unit. Long since discontinued, but used ones are still available.

https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Bluetooth-Navigator-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B004A88RM6

I did manage to crush it and break the LCD screen once, but a replacement screen and new battery cost under $40 delivered from China, and it continues to work very well to this day.

Operationally, I find it far superior to anything I have yet tried on my very decent smartphone. Google Maps/Nav is horrible for driver use in-car: the street lines are too faint, the text unreadable, forces a 3D tunnel view, and the buttons are too tiny to safely use while driving. Or at least all of that applies in comparison to the standalone Garmin, which has none of those flaws.

All of that said, for local driving I now use Google Maps inside "Android Auto", which means it projects the interface onto the largish in-car touchscreen in my 2018 vehicle. The one killer feature of Google is that it has live, on-screen traffic conditions and updates, which are quite handy for the daily commute.

The Garmin now gets used with our other vehicles, and for holiday travels outside of Canada.

Cheers

Edited by mlord (07/03/2018 15:07)