Originally Posted By: andy
But I think you’ve got tagging problems.

I definitely have no tagging problems. I'm a stickler for that. Every song is tagged with either a correct ID3V1 tag, or, both an ID3V1 and an ID3V2 tag, with proper track numbers. None have bad tags in either the V1 or the V2 slots. Every song has a correct track number.

I wonder, though, if the iPhone only reads the V2 tags and considers V1 to be too out of date to bother with. So maybe when I have album playback order problems, maybe the problem is only happening on the ones which contain only V1 tags.

Another possibility is that I am not able to load my songs onto the iPhone by using iTunes due to this still-unfixed bullshit:

So I had to use a third party program like Media Monkey to load the tunes onto the phone. Maybe that's the issue.

Quote:
I go to the Music app, go to albums, open one, hit play. It plays them in album order.

Not my use-case. My use-case is (of course) the empeg style of playing the entire library in album order, and toggling shuffle on and off as I go. I can't see a way to do that on the iPhone. If you know how, though, if there's something I'm missing in the iPhone UI, I'd love to know. I would understand if the iPhone simply "can't do that" though.

In fact, on the iPhone, the only way I can see to play all songs on the iPhone is to go to "songs" and press the first song. When I do that, it plays every song, albeit in alphabetical song title order.

Quote:
finally has an on the fly playlist you can insert into/add too. Though it is still far from perfect.

How is that done? If I knew how to do it, maybe it would work for my use-case. But I can't seem to do it. I try to go to playlists and press "new playlist" and press "add music" and press "artists" with the intention of adding all artists. But it doesn't seem to let me select all artists. In fact it seems like I have to drill down in the artists all the way down to individual songs to add them to the playlist one song at a time. So that doesn't work for me: My goal would be (again, the empeg use-case of) having all songs playing in the playlist, shuffled or not, and then insert an individual song so that the playlist continues after that song is done. Looks like that's also not do-able on the iPhone unless there's something I'm missing in the UI.