You're in a great position to take your career in a different direction if you want. Either slightly or massively. With the known lead-time to get some education under your belt, you could get to choose. For instance, if you enjoyed database development, you could get some education in SQL and go from there. If you decided you didn't like database development, you could get educated in other stuff, like Python, C++ or C# coding, etc. Personally, if I had an opportunity to do it all over again I'd probably drive a truck. smile

I moved to Seattle thinking I was going to continue in the network admin field, and ended up changing career paths and doing software QA instead, and became an SDET. I like it much more than network administration. I'm noticing that it's hard to find good SDET/QA candidates in the current market, so if you're interested in that field then I could give more details.

Something HUGE that occurred during your 10-year absence was the move to cloud-based infrastructures like Azure and AWS. Many companies (including my own) don't have server rooms any more, and simply pay for space on Azure. Getting educated on those kinds of environments and understanding the pitfalls and benefits will help you. You need some cloud computing stuff on your resume to be hirable. Also, in networking and cloud computing, there's a ton of Windows Powershell-based stuff these days. For instance, if your company has an Azure infrastructure, they probably have a ton of automation tasks related to Azure that are written in Powershell.

I recommend looking through LinkedIn at the job listings for the career path you want, and looking at the things those job listings require, and then getting your education in those areas so that you can put them honestly on your resume.

Finally, when the time comes that you've got your education and you're looking for work, spend a few bucks to have a session or two with a career consultant. I worked with this guy for example, and he did a great job, showing me exactly how to format my resume and exactly what keywords needed to be in it, in order for it to show up at the top of automated searches. His tips on tweaking my linkedin profile and other profiles were very useful.

Also, another tip: If you search for your field on LinkedIn (for instance, if I search for SDETs on LinkedIn) then your own profile will show up on the first page of the search if you're logged in to that account. It's LinkedIn's way of making you think your profile is great. If you're trying to SEO your profile, you need to make a "Henry the 5th" account so that you can see where you rank in the search results realistically.