This is the expected functionality:
Cold boot into active mode: Ramp volume
Cold boot into standby: Ramp volume when the player is brought out of standby
Warm standby into active: Don't ramp

This is not the behavior I see. I've been trying to complain about this on the internal bug list, but I don't think I described the problem properly. I think the bug was tagged as "works for me".

The second expected behavior listed...
Cold boot into standby: Ramp volume when the player is brought out of standby...
does not seem to be happening. Cold boot into standby, followed by waking the player, does not ramp the volume, it just goes full volume as soon as it's awakened.

An example of this situation is when I pick up my daughter from day care. I'm only out of the car for a few minutes, so I leave the player in the car. I am gone long enough for it to drop out of standby into full power-off mode, and the timeout is set to 5 seconds anyway so that my keyless-entry system works at full range.

When I get back in the car after picking up my daughter, the player is fully powered off. When I turn on the ignition, the player gets power applied to it via the ignition wire. When the player wakes up out of sleep mode, there is no volume ramp. Even though it did get fully powered off.

Notes:

- I do have the constant power and the ignition power hooked up right.

- I don't think I have the negative spike bug, at least I haven't seen other symptoms of it.

- I am not certain if I have to hand-sleep it before shutting off the ignition in order for this behavior to happen, or if simply turning off the ignition during playback will induce this behavior. From the expected behavior listed above, both actions are supposed to induce volume-ramp when I start the car, whether or not I've hand-awakened it or if it self-awakened after starting the ignition. At least one of those actions, possibly both, makes it skip the volume-ramp.