IIRC, the VM just picks a process arbitrarily to kill -- it's not fussy. Obviously, on the empeg, there's not a lot running, so statistically, it's gonna get the player.

I am not sure for Linux, but on some other Unices that is difinitely tha case. Moreover, in my case player got killed again seconds after restart. So, either the player requested all of the memory immediately, or something else ate it. Since I am running a 'virgin' system for the moment, the question is: what else could be allocating the memory?

I am not familiar with particular implementation of threads, but see that multiple player threads each have their own PID. Is it possible for threads to die/be killed independently leaving their brethern behind as garbage? Does the player use shared memory segments that it could fail to deallocate in the moment of death (though I don't know why should it if threads share address space).

BTW, the bug from Leaky Player? thread has not reappeared, so it might be related to a particular tune. Of course, I failed to note the tune playing when it happened...

Dragi "Bonzi" Raos
Zagreb, Croatia
Q#5196, MkII#80000376, 18GB green
Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue