Thanks to Smu's work with his upgrade splitter and builder code found here I have put two new custom upgrade files here that upload a new kernel to mount /dev/hda2 as the root partition rather than /dev/hda5 and pump /dev/hda2 with a root filesystem including a custom init.

The two images both have the same kernel:

2.00beta3 + voladj patch + v36 of Mark's hijack + the small hda2 patch to mount hda2 as root

and the same hda2 image:

basically a copy of what is on /dev/hda5 in the 2.00beta3 distribution with a custom init, Frank's getkey and blitecho binaries, chroot and nvi taken from debian binaries for arm

The difference between the two is the larger one also contains the hda5 partition image as found in the 2.00beta3 image and so should work as if you had upgraded to 2.00beta3 and then upgraded to the hda2 and new kernel...

The new init isn't anything special... more of a proof of concept... I haven't tested whether the upgrade will work from the Windows upgrade client... only the Linux one...

Next thing to work on is making a more useful hda2 image and init... and writing an installer program to live there to allow easy installation of other 3rd party software...

Cheers

Kim

PS: no guarantees on any of this... but I would be interested to hear peoples results... :) NOTE to hackers who use /dev/hda2 for their own stuff... these WILL wipe your /dev/hda2