Yes. Many of the people using the filesharing apps never even listen to half of what they've downloaded and re-shared. They're only concerned with increasing the size of their collection

Very true. I'm glad most of my mp3 collection (about 90%) comes from my own cd's and I've ripped myself.
The other 10% I had the pleasure of downloading from Napster... that was back in the days when sharing music was actually easy. I'm pretty sure if my collection ever got lost I wouldn't be able to replace it EVER again.
Nowadays I use Audiogalaxy, but since they've updated their sattelite a couple of weeks ago, a big part of the fun (and functionality) is also gone there. Most files are now "locked" and not downloadable anymore.
Audiogalaxy was the last file sharing service which most of the time provided good copies (meaning 192kbps and above). On all others (winMX, Morpheus, Bearshare) it's hard to find a file better than 128kbps (which is not acceptable for me). Really, I can't understand how anybody can be happy with the quality level 128kbps provides! In the early days of mp3, when most of us were logging in with an analog modem I could have some understanding for it. But nowadays, when practically everybody has high-speed internet access, this really shouldn't be an issue anymore! So why so many people still use 128kbps is beyond me!

Only service I haven't tried yet is clubpie.com, because they ask 3$/month, and I don't know if it's any good or not. I certainly wouldn't mind paying 3$/month (and even more) for a Napster-like service, but somehow I don't think it's going to be like that so I'm not quite sure I'm willing to try it before I've heard some good things about it. Anyone over here familiar with it?