Here's the way I think this all should work.

By default (without Hijack): I think the knob should be a volume knob in all info modes. A press of the knob should change it into a seek knob (regardless of the info mode). Another press should put it back into volume mode (optionally, seek mode could timeout after 5 seconds or something.) A *press and hold* of the knob can put it into the sound settings or whatever.

With Hijack: Again, the knob should control volume in all info modes. A single press should be redefinable by hijack as it is now, with the new option of entering the "seek mode" as described above. Press-and-hold should bring up the hijack menu, and press-and-hold for another second should, as it does now, switch sources.

In order to do this, we would also want (need, in the case of Hijack) to allocate a remote button for toggling this seek mode. I vote for the "Select mode" button which right now doesn't do much besides switch insert/append/replace mode and re-seed the visual. It can keep that functionality while in the search screens. As for re-seeding the visual, that's not often needed, so make that a press-and-hold of the Select Mode button.

Anyone like this idea? Now Seek is just another Info mode whihc shows you the "phrases" in the song (very interesting if they implement my suggestions about manual editing of the "breakpoints.) Control of the seek becomes a mode you enter into with another button press. I think it all makes sense, but I'm open to alternative points of view.

BTW thanks to the team for including this "technology preview" in the beta so that we can make suggestions and brainstorm new ideas. I like that approach much better than keeping things under wraps until much later. Besides, now that SonicBlue doesn't give a damn about the product, we might as well start releasing alphas to the general public! (okay maybe not.)