You're asking two totally separate questions:

1) Can I use Windows to act as a router, routing ethernet traffic between two network cards?

The answer is yes, but you need to configure special routing software to do it. Windows server products, as well as Windows XP, come with this routing software by default. For Win95/98/ME, you need to install such software.

I don't know how to set up that kind of software on ME, because I have only worked with it on the Windows server products.

2) Will two wireless PCMCIA adapters talk to each other without a base station?

This is tricky, but I think it can be done. They aren't meant to work that way, but I get the feeling it is possible to program a card to act like a base station. I think it depends on whose brands of cards you buy, and what software is used to drive them.

Rumor has it that if you crack open one of those base stations and look inside, you'll see a little PCMCIA card sitting there. So whether or not the card works like base station is just a question of firmware programming.

Unfortunately, since I haven't done either of these things, I can't offer you details on how to get the job done. I was just writing this message to clarify that you are talking about doing two completely different things at the same time, and it will require two different solutions.