Finally attempted to hook up the kit to the car, and it all seems ok. Tuner works a treat (I even get scrolling newsflashes on RDS stations), even the dimmer thing works! I feel like a kid in a sweetshop with 1000's of sweets to choose from.

I'm not too sure of the power switching off. When I plug the unit into the car (without ignition) the unit is dead as you would expect. Turn the ignition and the unit fires up, perfect, good tunes all round. When I turn off the ignition, the unit switches off but I can still see the standby light is on. Worse still when I press play, the unit springs back to life with music thumping out of the speakers. Never mind, I pull the unit out (not going to leave it in the car, am I?). When I return to the car and plug the unit back in the unit is dead again, until I turn on the ignition and all is well. Except, this time I notice a battery icon in the top left of the empeg for a few seconds.

I'm at a loss as to what this indicates, apart from somewhere I fecked up. However I'm using the standard ISO connections and can confirm that this wiring worked ok for my retired Sony MD player which switched off whenever the ignition was off.